The Canary Boys
A travelling celebration of UK mining heritage through opera-ballet
A unique, collaborative project between Constella OperaBallet, Mill Hill & Betteshanger CIC, Studio Evans Lane, and Media Trust, combining:
• A cutting edge travelling installation designed by leading architects StudioEvans Lane,
• a unique venue through which to voice the UK’s rich mining heritage.
• The mining story told through a specially commissioned immersive collaboration of music, dance, design and film from Constella OperaBallet and Media Trust,
• beginning with a virtual reality descent into a mine prior to the installation performance.
• A full scale opera-ballet production by Constella touring in parallel to the installation, created from
• Creative, cross-generational workshops with young people in ex-mining communities, to preserve their stories for future generations.
• A global reach digital platform for performance recordings, photographs, film and education.